You're building a tech company. I'm your co-founder.
As an early-stage startup founder, you need someone just as motivated as you. Someone with the technical skills and intuition to build a product, and the experience that you need to avoid failure. In short, you need a good technical cofounder.
I'm your new technical co-founder - your mobile advocate. Good to meet you. Now let's get started.
What I Do
Anything tech-related that your very-early-stage mobile first startup would need.
I build iOS apps and server backends. I guide your team through tough technical decisions, drawing on my experience. I also build cross-platform apps using React Native (Android).
I've been building mobile apps since 2006, and have founded multiple tech startups around the world.
In the last 12 months: I spent the last year heads-down on a product in the pharmaceutical industry - my cofounder and I went from napkin sketches to meaningful revenue, all within one year. As of February I've moved on to start gethatch.app in Brooklyn.
In the last several years: I co-founded a social media startup called Hyper ('the next Instagram' according to Cosmopolitan), consulted with a Fortune 50 company to create two award-winning products, and built the centsapp.io app.
If that sounds like a lot, well...I've also helped build a productivity app for macOS called pinstriped.com, created an entire lightweight anonymous social network (much like the defunct Yik-Yak), created a couple small productivity tools for iOS, and made an Alexa Skill (would not recommend).
It's different for everyone.
Put simply, I do two types of work:
1) EQUITY: I strategically invest my time the same way an angel investor might invest his/her cash (sometimes I also invest my cash). These engagements are almost always long-term oriented; I'm looking specifically for very early-stage (pre-seed or immediately afterward) 'medium growth potential' companies, and a founding team that I mesh well with.
2) CASH: I also work on a contract basis; engagements usually last 6-12mo and often lead to a cofounder or advisory relationship. The position is usually technical director, lead developer, or mobile lead - it's a good way to get your company off the ground, and develop a relationship that could last much longer.
Our engagement will likely be some combination of those processes. Let's talk and find out!
Some things I love:
- Good industrial design.
- Running (meet me at the Brooklyn half?).
- People who obsess over the perfect cup of coffee - so I don’t have to.
- Building efficient and beautiful app architecture.
and people that I love working with:
- Small teams of "let's just do this, I mean how hard can it really be"-kind-of-people.
- Critical thinkers.
- Anyone who's starkly self-aware, both personally as well as of their industry and product.
- People that like to ship.